Glass cabinet doors are a great way to add style and depth to your kitchen. However, if you never added glass panels to cabinet doors, then you may not know that this project can actually be DIY-friendly if you have a few tools, some time, and a bit of experience. You should also take the contents of the cabinets into consideration as you plan. In this guide, we will take a look at how to install glass inserts on your cabinet doors.
Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links and we may receive a small commission for purchases made. These are products we highly recommend.

As mentioned above, adding glass to your cabinet doors can be a DIY-friendly project. To tackle this project, you have two options. The first, which is also the quickest and easiest, is to purchase new cabinet doors that are cut for glass inserts. These doors may have the entire center panel removed, or they may have decorative French lites.
How To Style Glass Kitchen Cabinets
The other option for installing glass inserts is to modify your existing cabinet doors. This method can be a more cost-effective route to take, depending on which of the required tools you already own. However, if you are a budding DIYer, then the tools could be a good investment, as they can be used for a variety of projects. Before we get started with the step-by-step part of the guide, let’s take a moment to talk about the glass inserts.
Typically, most people tend to add a traditional, clear glass panel. What many people may not realize, however, is that this is not the only option. Glass can have some drawbacks, like the fact that it tends to be heavy, and can be dangerous if it breaks. In place of glass, you can opt to use lightweight plexiglass panels, also called acrylic plastic sheeting, which looks like real glass but does not break.
Plexiglass, also known as acrylic plastic sheeting, can be used instead of glass for your cabinet door’s panel. Plexiglass is a lightweight material that won’t shatter like glass. You get plexiglass, and regular glass, cut to size at most hardware stores, so sourcing your material won’t be an issue.
Glass Kitchen Cabinets To Enhance Your Cooking Area
If you are really wanting to use your glass cabinet doors to make a statement, then you should consider a stained or custom glass option. Just like the world of custom cabinetry, there are limitless possibilities for design and shape, and so you have the freedom to take your design in whatever direction you want.
No matter what look you are trying to achieve, placing glass inserts into your kitchen’s cabinet doors creates an appearance of sophistication or country charm. It is a quick, budget-friendly DIY project that can easily be achieved even by a novice. Adding glass panels to your cabinet doors will also have the added benefit of giving your kitchen more depth, which can help it feel larger.
If you are ready to start ordering or if you need assistance, please feel free to call us at 1-855-669-5222 or send us an email at info@. Our team of cabinet experts is here to help with everything from measuring to ordering.Hi friends! I recently shared my kitchen makeover, and I had several requests to share how I replacedthe raised panels on my kitchen cabinets with glass.
Cabinet Door Glass Insert Installation: How To Do It Properly
Adding glass to just one set of cabinets had the biggest impact in my kitchen. This project was a lot easier than I expected, but I have to admit that cutting out those panels requires a little bit of guts.
Can I get an Amen??! The paint alone did wonders for my dark kitchen, but adding the glass to one set of doors made a huge impact.
I use the term “glass” loosely…I actually used plexiglass! I stopped in at a local glass company and the girl behind the counter wasn’t able to give me an exact quote (odd?), so when I asked her to give me a rough idea, she said, “It shouldn’t be more than $50.” Gulp! That was for one clear glass panel. Are you serious? Now I am certain it will not cost that much if you have it cut for you, but that was enough for me to seek out a DIY alternative. This will work whether you choose to use real glass or plexiglass.

How To Install Frosted Glass Doors
The first thing I had to get the nerve up to do was cut out the center raised panel of my cabinet doors. For this stepI used the following tools:
Then I used a drill and a small drill bit to drill a hole in the corner. I don’t have a specific size for you, it just needs to be big enough to fit your jig saw blade in after drilling a few side-by-side.
Once the center panels were cut, I touched up the edges with fresh paint. The raw edges will be covered, but the doors suffered a few minor bumps and bruises.
Beautiful Decorating Ideas For Glass Kitchen Cabinet Doors
If you are using real glass, skip to the installation. I loved the idea of using plexiglass, also known as Acrylic Plastic Sheeting
. It looks just like real glass and the best part is, I could cut it myself! I founda 30″ X 36″sheet of it at Home Depot for $24. My kind of price tag. I also purchased clear silicone for plastic ($8), and a plexiglass cutting tool

After I got my measurements, I cut the plexiglass using the plastic sheet cutter, and a yard stick as a straight edge. Just score the sheeting the appropriate number of times for the depth of the sheeting. My magic number was 5, but I did 8.
Guide To Choosing Kitchen Cabinets With Glass Doors
For glass, you will need a silicone for glass as the one I purchased specified “plastic”. Who knows what the difference is.
It took four 5/16″ X 11/16″ X 8′ pieces at $4.48 a piece to complete both door panels. I cut my trim pieces to frame the glass panel al the way around the inside of the cabinet opening:
I primed and painted all pieces, making sure to paint the sides of all pieces as well, since they will be seen through the glass. Then I used a bead of silicone to attach the front pieces:
Fluted Glass Kitchen Cabinets Are The New Home Must Have
The raised edge on the trim, when flipped over, fits perfectly over the “hump” caused by the remaining edge of the door panel.

I love it when ideas just work out. I was highfivin’ myself all over the place when this actually worked!I let them lay flat on their backs on my dining room table overnight. Then I couldn’t wait to come downstairs the next morning and hang them!! I had already primed and painted the interior of the cabinet:
I also replaced the previous shelves that were sagging and drilled new holes for my new shelf pegs, so it would all be fresh andnew! I LOVE the result:
How To Add Glass To Kitchen Cabinet Doors
I touched up the corners of the trim with a little paintable window and door caulk. You can also see the trim that’s on the back side through the glass. (That’s why it is important to paint the sides.):
In some of these close-ups, you can see a bunch of tiny white dust particles. That is what was left from when I removed the protective covering from the plexiglass. I hadn’t taken a minute to clean it yet, but it cleans up perfectly with a little glass cleaner.
When I was originally planning my kitchen makeover, I looked online at mystyle of cabinet with glass panels. The best I found was around $150 per cabinet for the size I needed as mine are pretty tall cabinets. Replacing the centermyself cost me $59.10. That’s a huge savings, and I love the end result. I hope you found this helpful, and if I missed anything, please feel free to ask any questions in the comments. 🙂

Illuminated Smoked Glass Cabinets Are The New Kitchen Must Have
Get FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50. No code needed at checkout! Orders under $50 always enjoy $8 flat rate shipping! Most orders ship same or next business day!
0 Comments
Posting Komentar