Today let’s talk how to install Ikea butcher block countertops. We are back at it here with the kitchen renovation and finally my ugly black formica countertops are sitting in a dump somewhere and no longer haunting me! So before we get started let’s make sure you read up on how I finished these countertops with spar varnish to protect it from water, warping and stains.
As you guys may remember this entire kitchen renovation started by replacing a half sized dishwasher. Which led to moving the cabinets over and being short with the existing countertop. So today is the big day it is install day! Now normally you see me installing or DIYing a lot of these projects but today is all about my brother and my dad, I was really just along to assist and learn. See my brother installed these counters a few years ago in his kitchen and really was the expert. In fact he is putting them in at my sister’s house in a couple weeks. Needless to say we really like our butcher block counters in our family.

Before bringing in your new counters take your old counters out. Now if your counters are in good shape and you just want to update, see if you have a local Habitat for Humanity Restore in the area. You might as well donate them. Unfortunately mine were not in good enough shape there was a lot of warping and water damage.
Bespoke Worktop Buying Guide
For us working in the kitchen seemed to be the best option with weather. We brought up two saw horses from the basement and brought the first piece up. Now if you decide to do all your cuts in the kitchen have your shop vac ready.
Now instead of just using a tape measurer we put the counters in place to mark our cuts. Now I purchased an Ikea Farmhouse Apron front sink.I actually chose this sink because it sets on top of the counters and there is no need to cut a hole for the sink. Making the DIY installation less daunting.
Now once we measured where on the cabinets we wanted to counter to end we set the counter tops back on the sawhorses and measured our cuts. Using frogtape mark where to cut.
Installing Ikea Kitchens In Canberra During Coronavirus Pandemic
Using two spare pieces of wood and four clamps we created a straight edge for our circular saw. This will help guide the saw and keep the cut straight. There are attachments you can purchase for your saw to assist with this but this worked just as well for us.
In order to fit under that sink we had to account for some cut outs. Again using frogtape we marked the indent that needed to be cut out and followed along those lines cutting with the jigsaw.
Here is the best tip I am going to give you. Make sure you keep the cardboard the countertops came in. They work perfectly for making a template, if you have a corner that you need to cut at a 45 degree angle.
Ekbacken Light Grey Concrete Effect, Laminate, Worktop, 186x2.8 Cm
Put your frogtape down and use the cardboard to trace your angle. Once you have your angle set up a piece of wood and clamps for your straight edge.
The corner is the most intimidating part of the whole installation. We decided to use a kreg jig to create pocket holes on the underside of the countertops.
Drilling two pocket holes on each side of the cut about 8-12 inches apart. Make sure to set the pocket hole drill bit for the size screw you are using.
Best Ikea Countertops
Once you have made your pocket holes run clear silicone on the inner edge of your counters. Place the two pieces together.
Alternating sides start to screw in your pocket holes. We used the 1 1/4 course thread kreg screws I screwed one on each of the pairs alternating sides then came back and did the second screw. Once done wipe any excess silicone on each side.

Make sure your counters are in place and then take your remaining screws and screw the counter tops in place. Before screwing these in make sure that the 2 1/2 screws will work for your project. You do not want a screw thats too long.
Ikea Kitchen With Worktop From Ilicut
Make sure before installing your counters you take the time to properly seal and finish them. This will extend their lifetime and protect them from stains and water damage.
Installing Peel and Stick Glass Tiles Adding crown molding to your kitchen cabinets. How to Finish Ikea Butcher Block Countertops How to remove tile backsplashToday is countertop day! Can I get a holla?! Yes, we are still talking about our IKEA kitchen. DIYing an IKEA kitchen is no joke. So. Much. Work! The countertops were not DIY (thank goodness) – IKEA sent a crew over to measure and install the countertops. We are super happy with them and am glad we purchased them through IKEA.
When we ordered our kitchen through IKEA we told them we wanted to purchase the countertops also. We chose our material and they did a rough square footage to come up with the cost. They also gave us their 3rd party company that installs the counters and told us to call them when we were ready to schedule the templating.
My Kitchen Renovation
IKEA also told us that if we had the countertop company come out and the kitchen wasn’t 100% ready, they would not template. They needed the kitchen finished – including all filler pieces. They didn’t need every aspect of the kitchen finished, but wherever the countertop was going to touch cabinets or filler, those areas needed to be 100% finished.
As you can see in these photos, areas like the pantry and upper cabinets are not finished with all the filler, but since the counter wasn’t going to touch those areas we didn’t need them complete.

I called the countertop company and scheduled them about a week out. That gave me a week to get the kitchen completely ready for the templating. I was up late the night before finishing little details at the last minute.
Ikea Kitchen Hacks So Your Kitchen Doesn't Look Like Everyone Else's
The templating process was fascinating! I wasn’t sure how they would do it, and watching the guy work was enlightening. Maybe I’m the only one who geeks out over this stuff, but I thoroughly enjoyed learning the process of coutnertops.
They used strips of balsa wood. Balsa wood is very soft and cuts easily. He laid out the strips and hot glued them together. Then he took a utility knife and easily cut the excess off.
You can see how he made the small section for the wrap-around counter. This kitchen is starting to take shape and I am more than excited about it!
Custom Kitchen Worktop
They took all these templates back to their shop to cut the counters. I guess I assumed they would just measure a lot and then transpose it to the countertops, but they used these real templates as stencils to cut the counters perfectly.
About a week later they showed back up with the cut counters. The first one to go on was our island overhang. Oh the excitement of seeing this finally and being able to visualize sitting here!

Here’s our sink and wrap-around counter being slid into place. I am thrilled that they were able to do the mini countertop on the same slab and reduce the number of seams in the kitchen.
Pinnarp Worktop, Ash, Veneer, 186x3.8 Cm
I’m not exactly sure how it works. I don’t know if it’s just holding the seams together tightly while glue dries, or if it heats it or what, but the seams are tight after this.
They also installed the under-mount sink. I forgot to mention, when they did the template, they took the sink back to the shop with them to make sure they had a perfect fit before coming back to install everything.
Once the sink was in place they drilled a hole for the faucet. I opted to have only one hole drilled. He suggested to do another one for soap, but I didn’t want extra holes in my new counter.
Everything You Need To Know About Ikea Pre Cut Countertops
I couldn’t wait to unpack our new barstools and put them under the counter. Lots of time will be spent sitting at these barstools!Spills and grease are easy to wipe clean and the worktop keeps its beauty over time. Choose between the many colours and expressions to find the perfect look. Available to take home today.
Very pleasedVerified ReviewerI am very pleased with the work tops, they have made a tremendous difference to my kitchen. I finally found these that are light in colour and go with wood grain doors. They are completely sealed on all 4 edges and are wider than others, just enough to give a lip over the edge of draws and gives you room to adjust for uneven walls. Delivery was very reasonable and quick. I would definitely recommend5

Amazing valueVerified ReviewerBought this for my utility room, and fitted it myself. It's round profile at the front and finished square profile at the back, so it's possible to use this for a square edge front by cutting the round profile off, which is what I did for
0 Comments
Posting Komentar